Friday, December 01, 2006

I Know, I Know...

... I've got to stop it with the language thing already, but it just hit me again how cool it was, when there we were, a Filipina, two Brazilians, a Russian, a Suisse, three Japanese, and a Swede, drinking cups of coffee under the autumn afternoon sun, honestly enjoying each others company in a way we could never have managed had we all not decided to learn another foreign language. Parler Français rocks.

P.S. Katrina, you're right. If you ever have kids, you have to raise them elsewhere. The twentysomethings I'm hanging out with actually have opinions about such things as whether Turkey should be allowed membership in the EU. I can just see them start hemmorhaging from the brain if forced to watch Eat Bulaga!

3 comments:

A said...

I love it. UN Avenue!

Anonymous said...

Well that's a way to learn not only the language but getting to know their cultures too! What an interesting way to start a conversation (internationally)!

Apol thanks for coming! It was nice hanging out with you,Makis & Jhona :)! Wish Kala was there too!

Anonymous said...

Apol, I'm terribly envious! One of my favorite things is making new friends; making new friends from other cultures is even better! Our plans to move abroad have been derailed, but I still hope to have the opportunity to raise any kids I might have in a cosmopolitan environment that encourages using your brain, as opposed to the current Manila pop culture that encourages using as few of your neurons as possible.

My sister placed her 5-year-old kids in an international school, and I can see, even at their age, the difference it makes for them to be exposed to different cultures. If I have to send my (for now, imaginary) offspring to school here, it would have to be an international school.