Thursday, June 28, 2007

Winner!

I love action films. Watching something with Vin Diesel or some other hunk in it is one of my favorite ways to relax. Stunned by the gun fights, the car crashes, and the exploding buildings, my brain goes on blissful pause. I don't have to think.

Lately though, quite out of character I've found myself developing a taste for French films, specially love stories, like Michel Leclerc's J'Invente Rien, Eric Lartigau's PrĂȘte-Moi Ta Main, and Pierre Salvadori's Hors de Prix. You've got to hand it to French filmmakers, even when they're tackling love they don't go all sappy on you. Instead, their films are sophisticated and smart, full of quiet humor and the occasional dash of whimsy.

Then yesterday I clicked on to Editrixia's latest entry and I made another 180-degree turn. French films may have the smarts and the sophistication. They may have the careless elegance of Charlotte Gainsbourg and the charming vulnerability of Audrey Tautou, but they will never have Azenith Briones. Watch the video clip. She's better than car crashes and exploding buildings; probably equal in power to ten train wrecks. I love Azenith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We LOOOOOVE that movie! Classic na 'yan! Countless quotable lines. The first time I made Felipe watch it, he literally was on the floor laughing. I bought a VCD -- not clear, turning sepia already, but then most old movies here were not preserved. Pity. :-(

Apol said...

KATRINA, I was just thinking: How are you? More to the point, what are you up to? E-mail me news :)

Anonymous said...

Um...I'm online a lot...